A few weeks ago, Sriyan came in and he’d like to come back and join the market again. I immediately thought of his Sri Lankan cinnamon and remembering its fantastic taste.
So, not being a dessert and sweet-liking person I came up with this very simple recipe to have after dinner. As usual change things around to suit. The apples came from Garden for the people, the ground cinnamon from Sriyan, the dried sour cherries and assortment of fresh nuts from Tahsin at Turkish Bazaar and Honey from Manuka Corner.
3-4 apples (peeled, cored and roughly sliced)
50-100g salted butter
3 tbsp or more ground cinnamon
1-2 tbsp soft honey
Juice of 1-2 limes or 1/2 lemon
Handful of mixed nuts and seeds (I get Tahsin to make me the same each week – raw almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pistachios)
1. Heat the oven to 180°C
2. Put some knobs of butter in a small oven dish. Place the dish quickly in and out of the oven so the butter melts
3. Roughly toss the slices of apple in the butter and also add the cinnamon. Mix all around
4. Then add the dried sour cherries, making sure they’re well spread out. Put as much butter as you like all over the top.
5. Cook in the oven for about 15-20 minutes and then top with a layer of roughly crushed nuts and seeds.
6. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, testing the apples occasionally decide how you like them.