If you’re looking for a crowd pleaser over Christmas that’s easy, fresh and can be served warm or at room temperature, try this salmon and vegetable salad dish. Its light and flavoursome and you can use a combination of any green summer vegetables. You could also poach the salmon instead of cooking it in this salt crust. I prefer to use Akaroa or Stewart Island salmon.
- Ingredients (serves 4)
- A small salmon fillet or part of a fillet
- 1 large fennel bulb, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsps of finely chopped fennel fronds
- 2 finely chopped shallots, finely chopped or 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium sized potatoes, skin on, scrubbed and each cut into 6-8 pieces
- 4-5 asparagus per person or green beans, cut into 3, blanched and refreshed
- Good handful of snow peas, blanched and refreshed
- Frozen or fresh broad beans, cooked and peeled or and handful of peas, cooked
- 5-6 radishes, washed and finely sliced
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 preserved lemon, rind finely chopped
- 2 tbsps sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 12 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 egg whites, beaten till foamy
- ⅔ cup coarse sea salt
- Finely chopped chives
Prepare the dressing by mixing together the fennel, chopped fennel fronds, shallots or onion in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, lemon juice and zest, olive oil and salt and pepper. Stir and leave for at least 1 hour.
Prepare all the green vegetables. Cook the potatoes, drain and while still hot, spoon over some of the dressing. Keep the potatoes in the pot to stay warm.
Preheat the grill of the oven till hot. Mix together the beaten egg white and salt to form a paste. Place the salmon fillet face down on foil on an oven tray. You could put a few finely chopped fresh herbs on the foil first and top with the salmon. Spread the egg white and salt paste on the salmon skin.
Put the salmon under the grill on the second rack down. Cook for about 6-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the salmon.
While the fish is cooking, gently combine all the rest of the salad ingredients with the dressing including the chives and sprinkle with the cashews.
Remove the salmon from the grill and leave to sit for 5 minutes. Then gently peel off the salt crust and skin trying not to leave too much salt on the salmon.
Cut into pieces and serve with the salad.