Many of you will already have this recipe from me as I first included in a newsletter about 10 years ago. A while ago a customer asked me for it as she’d lost her copy and last week at the Market I bought yellow fin tuna steaks from Jimmy so I could make this meal. The warm dressing is the part that makes this recipe different than many nicoise salad recipes.
- 500g tuna steaks (enough for 2-3)
- Small washed potatoes, thin green beans (topped and tailed), quartered ripe tomatoes – quantities of all of these are up to you.
- 1 tin of anchovies – drained
- Black olives
- 1 quartered hard boiled egg per person
Combine the following ingredients in a shallow dish and coat the tuna thoroughly. Leave in a cool place for at least an hour.
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 5 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Whisk the following in a small pot and leave to infuse while you cook the vegetables. I usually increase the quantity of oil, vinegar and herbs making sure I keep the same proportion of oil to vinegar.
- 6 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps capers
- 3 tbsps of chopped mixed fresh herbs eg basil, parsley, chives, tarragon, chervil
Boil the potatoes and lightly cook the beans. Slice the potatoes thickly and put in a bowl with the cooked beans. While both are still warm, drizzle a little of the dressing over the top so the flavour infuses into the vegetables.
Start to assemble the salad on a large platter by piling the potatoes and beans on first. Add the quartered tomatoes and eggs.
Heat a heavy pan or BBQ hot plate till smoking. Quickly sear the tuna on each side. The time will depend on the thickness of the piece but the aim is to have very pink flesh.
Remove the tuna from the heat and slice it thinly. Add to the top of the salad, put anchovy fillets on top and scatter over a handful of black olives.
Heat the dressing till almost boiling. Pour it over the salad.
Serve immediately while still warm with plenty of baguette and a delicious chilled rosé.