Last weekend I couldn’t help buying too much fruit and too many vegetables because everything looked so fresh and inviting. These were amongst the things I bought – both Sally of Fresh Gardens and Jason had beautiful baby carrots and aromatic coriander and Jillian of Fruition had juicy oranges, limes and freshly picked avocados from her property near Katikati. The question became how to use them in different ways. Flicking through my Paris bought ‘Frenchie’ cookbook I found the following easy recipe using all of these ingredients. It’s simple and fresh tasting for any time of the year served as an entrée, light lunch or part of a main course.
- Ingredients (for 2)
- For the roasted carrots
- 1 bunch of baby carrots, trimmed, washed and lightly scrubbed
- ½ tsp each of coriander seeds and fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
- Sprig of thyme
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Olive oil
- For the salad
- 2 oranges, peeled, pith removed and sliced into 6-8 rounds
- 1 avocado, cut in half, pit removed, peeled and sliced into thick slices
- ½ bunch of fresh coriander, leaves removed from stalks
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- Good pinch of Espelette
- Salt and pepper
Heat your oven to 180°C. Put the baby carrots in a bowl with the toasted and crushed coriander and fennel seeds, olive oil, salt, thyme and garlic. Mix well with your hands and place on an oven tray. Roast for about 20-25 minutes till tender and lightly brown. Set aside.
To assemble, combine the avocado slices, baby carrots and orange slices in a serving bowl or platter. Sprinkle with the coriander leaves, lime juice, olive oil and salt. Toss very very gently and finally sprinkle with the Espelette.