Having bought peppers and tomatoes from Shane last weekend, fresh duck eggs from Jason and chorizo from Salash I decided to make these baked eggs for lunch on Monday (our day off). They’re really delicious with plenty of fresh bread. Once you have the tomato and pepper base you can add other things – this time I included chorizo and peas.
- Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 large finely chopped red onion
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored deseeded and finely sliced
- 5-6 medium tomatoes (peeled and chopped) or 1 can of chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- A few slices of chorizo (optional)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- A handful of frozen peas (optional)
- 1 or 2 eggs per person
- 1 or 2 slices of prosciutto per person (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Heat a little olive oil in a heavy pan. Add the onion and peppers. Gently cook for about 5 minutes till they start to soften. Add the slices of chorizo if using. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, paste, peas and paprika. Simmer for 15-20 minutes so the tomatoes cook and all the flavours blend. Add a little water if it seems too thick. Season to taste.
Grease individual gratin dishes or 1 large dish. Spoon the mixture in and make indentations for the eggs. Break in the eggs. Top with slices of prosciutto.
Bake in a moderate oven for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked as you like them. Sprinkle with finely chopped basil or parsley.