This week’s recipes are thanks to Catherine Bell. I know Catherine’s an expert in cazuelas and easy recipes to cook in them so I phoned her for a few ideas. This is her chicken recipe and I used an idea she gave me for the vegetable dish. I cooked both in cazuelas – the flavours were fantastic. I’ll demonstrate them this weekend.
- Roasted Paprika Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 4-5 clove of garlic, crushed
- Good pinch of saffron threads, crushed in your fingers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ orange
- ½ lemon
- Potatoes, peeled
Make a paste of the garlic, saffron, salt, paprika and olive oil. Rub this all over the chicken and under the skin as much as you can. Place the lemon and orange in the cavity.
Place the chicken in a large cazuela and into an oven preheated to 200°C.
After about 20 minutes add several pieces of potato to the cazuela making sure to coat them in any pan juices or any left-over paste.
Roast till done.
Green Vegetables with Chorizo
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed,
- Finely sliced chorizo, as much or as little as you like
- Green beans, blanched and refreshed
- Florets of broccoli, blanched and refreshed
- Frozen peas
- Optional extras – grilled red peppers, toasted sliced almonds, espelette
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat some olive oil on the stove top in a pre-seasoned cazuela. Add the onion and cook gently till soft but not brown. Add the chorizo and crushed garlic. Cook until the chorizo starts to release its oil.
Add the peas, broccoli and beans. Season to taste. Cover with foil and cook for about 4-5 minutes or till all the vegetables are ready.
Add any or all of the extras and serve. Great with the roasted chicken or any other meat, chicken or fish dish.