This week it’s one of our old La Cigale favourites which I’ve been making for years. I’m regularly asked for this recipe DRIED FRUIT COMPOTE. Serve it with a selection of French cheeses at the end of a meal instead of a dessert or alternatively make it your dessert and serve with whipped cream or mascarpone. For such a simple recipe it has a wonderful exotic flavour. I usually make twice the following quantity as it will last in the fridge for a few days.
- Approx 350g each of at least 3 different dried fruits – eg dates, prunes and apricots
- 200ml tea – I use Earl Grey or English Breakfast
- Juice and grated rind of 2 oranges
- A generous pinch of cinnamon
- 4 tbsps of honey.
- A handful of toasted pinenuts
Put all the ingredients except the pinenuts in a pot and simmer for 15 mins. Remove from the heat and leave out of the fridge for several hours to allow the flavours to develop. Add the pinenuts an hour or two before serving. You can add them earlier but they do go a little soggy.