This is one of Billy’s Salads that just wins hands down!
- For the lentils:
- 1 cup small green lentils (Lentilles du Puy)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- For the mushrooms:
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 8 very large mushroom caps
- coarse salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
In a saucepan, cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes or until soft. salt and pepper. Add wine, water and lentils and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and cover tightly with a lid. Cook for 30 – 40 minutes, until lentils are done. You may need to drain some water off after cooking.
In a small bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, extra-virgin olive oil and garlic. Place mushrooms in a shallow dish and pour marinade over the caps. Turn caps in marinade and season with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes.
Quickly saute the mushrooms.
Then pile them with the lentils and garnish with crumbled goats cheese.