I know this sounds strange to pickle salmon but I didn’t know quite how else to describe it; maybe ‘soused’ is a better word. Anyway, the result was great. I found that if you prepare it at least a day or two ahead of when you want to eat it then it’ll taste even better. I served it with potato salad and freshly cooked beetroot. I used about half a salmon fillet. If you have a larger piece of salmon increase the quantities of vinegar, wine and sugar. The fillet needs to be covered in the marinade.
- Ingredients for the Salmon
- Piece of salmon, boned and skinned
- Coarse sea salt
- 2-3 finely chopped shallots
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- 350ml white wine vinegar
- 150ml white wine
- 200g sugar
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- 1 medium-large red onion, finely sliced on a mandolin
- 1 bulb fennel, finely sliced on a mandolin
- Finely chopped coriander or parsley
- Wasabi Potato Salad (quantities of each are up to you)
- Potatoes, cooked and cut into pieces
- Fresh corn cobs, cooked and kernels sliced off
- Red onion, finely chopped
- Finely chopped red chilli (optional)
- Finely chopped fresh herbs
- Mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- Salt and pepper
Put a layer of coarse sea salt in a dish and place the salmon on top. Cover with more salt. Cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour then rinse of the salt.
While the salmon is in the salt, prepare the marinade. Pour the wine into a pot and add the sugar, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil and stir to dissolve the sugar. Cover and leave for about 15 minutes. Then bring it back to the boil and add the vinegar. Take it off the heat and add the olive oil.
Put the rinsed salmon in a dish, top with the finely sliced red onion and fennel (if using). Pour over the marinade. Cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours but the longer the better.
For the potato salad – first cook the potatoes and corn. While they’re cooking prepare the mayonnaise and add as much wasabi as suits your palate. I wanted it quite hot so added nearly half a tube.
While the potatoes are still warm mix in a generous quantity of the wasabi mayonnaise. Just before serving add the kernels of corn, red onion, chilli if using and sprinkle with fresh herbs.