Since Cameron joined us recently selling various things made from hemps seeds, I’ve been buying a packet of seeds every weekend. Mike sprinkles a handful on each our breakfast bowls of fresh fruit and we’re now addicted! And sometimes I remember to sprinkle some on our lunch or dinner vegetables or salad. So, last weekend as well as buying hemp seeds from Cam I decided to try hemp seed butter as well. To use up some of the many vegetables I’d bought I roasted a few and made a dressing from a little of the butter (don’t think of “butter” as being like dairy butter!). The hemp dressing was also great on the side and we used it with roasted chicken too. The flavour was great and it’s a quick and easy!
– Brussel sprouts, halved – From Plains View Gardens
– Broccoli head, cut into small florets – From Garden for the People
– Baby carrots, green part trimmed down – From Plains View Gardens
– Handful of raw pistachios, roasted – From Tahsin Turkish Bazaar
– Handful of dried cranberries – From Tahsin Turkish Bazaar
– Fresh Coriander, roughly torn – From Tahsin Turkish Bazaar
– Left over cooked brown rice, or any other (optional)
*Don’t worry about the whole grain quantities you use for the vegetables
– 2 tbsp hemp butter
– 3 tbsp water
– 1 tbsp soy sauce
– 1 tbsp apple cider vinefar
– 1 lemon, juiced
– 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
– Small pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
– ½ – 1 tsp good quality honey
*Any flavourings you like can be mixed with the hemp butter. I just grabbed what was on the front of my shelves.
1. Put all the vegetables into an oven tray, drizzle with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil from Barry and roast until they’re cooked as you like them. To give you an idea, I cooked it for 20 min at 180°c.
2. Put all the dressing ingredients in a jar or small bowl and whisk all together.
3. Put the vegetables in a serving bowl as well as about half of the dried cranberries and half of the roasted pistachios and mix up with left over grains (if you have some). Add 2 or 3 tbsps of dressing to start with and adjust if you feel a bit more.
4. Finally, toss the rest of cranberries and roasted pistachios as well as the coriander on top.
Quick, easy and delicious, great by itself or with any fish or meat. Enjoy !